Sunday, August 21, 2011

Addendum to "Back to School...."

I thought I had prepared Ava for everything....but, I forgot to tell her about being picked up. She is used to me parking and coming to her room to get her each day. At her new school, there is a carpool line and all the younger kids that get out at that time go to a hallway with their teachers and sit together to wait for their names to be called and to be walked out to their car. On her first day, we were the 3rd car in the carpool lane (kind of anxious to see how her day went and ready to get her. I'm not used to having to wait to pick up my kids....I just normally go get them when I am ready to get them!) The teacher standing outside saw my car (very common among Mommies) and yelled for a little boy to come out and get into my car. Then the teacher saw ME holding up a sign with Ava's name on it and yelled to the one bringing the little boy, "WRONG KID, WRONG KID, WRONG KID!!!!" Then they brought Ava out to my car. She looked like a deer in headlights. She didn't have a CLUE what was going on or where they were taking her or anything! I felt terrible that I hadn't told her about the pick up routine.

The next morning I reminded her that after nap time, she and her friends would go wait with their teachers in that hallway again and they would bring her out to my car. And she replied (with a straight face), "So when they yell "WRONG KID!!", that's when I go, right?"

Brad and I lost it! We told her no, she will always be the RIGHT KID to us!

No comments: